Your browser does not support the running script, you cannot get a perfect browsing
  • Home
  • Tibet Tour Package
  • Tibet Train
  • Travel Guide infos
  • Tibet Nepal Bhutan
Tibet Tour Package
  • Join in Tibet Group Tours
  • Private Tour Packages
  • China Tibet Tour
Tibet Travel Guide
  • Tibet Travel Permits
  • Tibet weather
  • Flights to Tibet
  • Get to Tibet from Countries

Required Documents for a Trip to Mount Everest

Mt. Everest, or Mt. Qomolangma, is recognized as the world’s highest peak with an altitude of 8,844 meters. Ordinary people can’t bear the harsh environment of the mountain, so Everest Base Camp (EBC) was built for people to have a close and clear view of Mt. Everest. When you are planning your trip to Tibet, do not miss the chance to go to the 5,200-meter EBC to have a look at the Mt. Everest.

Even when you are standing on the EBC, you may still don’t have the chance to get a clear view of the mountain because of the ever-changing weather there. The best time throughout the year to visit Mt. Everest is from April to May and from September to October, during which you can most possibly see this highest peak of the world.

There are many attractions along the way from Lhasa to Mt. Everest, such as the holy Yamdrok Lake and the Carola Glacier. After you arrive in Shigatse, you just need to go southward all the way to EBC, during which you will pass through Tingri County. To complete a journey to Mt. Everest, what you need is not only courage and perseverance. Complex travel documents are also necessary.

1. Tibet Travel Permit

Tibet Travel Permit is the primarily necessary document for foreign tourists to enter Tibet, without which you will not be able to take the flight or train to Tibet. You can only apply for the Tibet Travel Permit through a qualified travel agency in Tibet, as applications submitted in the name of individuals are not accepted by the official. Therefore, finding a reliable local travel agency in Tibet to help you apply for the Tibet Travel Permit will be more effective. As one of the earliest travel agencies that provide travel services for foreigners and sell services online, we can provide one-stop service for you to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit. You just need to tell us your needs and we will tailor a satisfactory trip for you. After signing a travel contract with us, you need to send us scanned copies of required documents such as your Chinese visa and passports, etc. Then we will submit the application of your Tibet Travel Permit to the official. If you enter Tibet by flight, we will send the Tibet Travel Permit to your hotel or the place you live (in mainland China only) after we receive the permit; if you choose to enter Tibet by train, we only need to send you a scanned copy of the permit.


If you have a Hong Kong or Macao passport, you can travel to Tibet with your valid Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents only, which means that you don’t need to apply for a Tibet Travel Permit. The instructions above are for tourists from other regions and countries to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit. Taiwan compatriots please read the passage about how Taiwan compatriots apply for the Tibet Travel Permit.

2. Aliens' Travel Permit

Foreign tourists who want to go to the Everest area need to apply for an Aliens' Travel Permit. The tour guide will help you to get this done in Shigatse or Gyantse. The whole procedure will take only 1-2 hours.

Required documents for applying for an Alien’s Travel Permit:

  • Original copy of the Tibet Travel Permit
  • Passport
  • Tour Guide Certificate
  • Itinerary form


People from other regions and countries must apply for an Aliens' Travel Permit before they go to the Everest area. For people who have a Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, they just need to apply for a Border Permit.

Other areas requiring the Aliens' Travel Permit include:

  • Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, Mt. Everest, and Rongbuk Monastery;
  • Zhanang County: Samye Monastery, Tombs of Tibetan Kings, Changzhu Temple, and Yumbu Lhakhang Palace;
  • Gyantse: Palcho Monastery
  • Ngari Area: Gangdise Range, Lake Manasarovar, and the Ruins of the Ancient Guge Kingdom, etc.;
  • Nyingchi area: Basumtso Lake, Bomi County, and Ranwu Lake, etc.;
  • Chamdo area: Chamdo prefecture city, Riwoqe Temple, and Denqen County, etc.

With the above documents, you can go to the 5,200-meter EBC and enjoy the charm of Mt. Everest. If you want to climb to a higher place such as the 5,800-m ABC (Advance Base Camp), you will need to apply for a special mountaineering permit and hire a professional mountain guide. If you have any needs in this regard, please contact us and we will be happy to help you.

Most Frequently Asked Questions

Make Inquiry Now
We have helped thousands of travelers obtain their Tibet permits since 2003. Tell us your ideas and get a quick response within 0.5-12 hours.
  • loadingData in submission...
Contact us Now :